Why aren’t you losing weight?
Why are you still struggling to do up your trousers up? Why are you “working” yourself to an early grave at the gym for nothing? Well, here it is. It’s time for some home truths, some tough talk and just pure honesty.
So many of us are given misinformation, the easy (not correct) way out, the supposed magic pill that shreds your body while you sleep. Unfortunately, it’s all shit! So-called professionals aren’t telling you the truth. And you know why they won’t? Because it’s not sexy, it’s not easy and most of us, before even starting, already think we will fail. In this post I will tell you, what it takes to be successful during this lifestyle change. So get ready, you’re not going to like it, but it’s the damn truth!
#1 – You’re Not Motivated Enough:
You just don’t see your health and fitness as a priority right now. It’s as simple as that. Clearly, it’s not that important to you. You’d rather stuff your face with a burger and chips then take the extra 10 minutes to cook yourself something healthier. You’d rather sit on the couch binge watching Netflix than workout.
And I know you feel like crap for putting yourself and your health on the back burner. So what can you do to make sure you are motivated?
- Identify what motivates you by figuring out why you want to continue exercising and eating healthier; be able to run after your children, be attractive to your spouse etc.
- Decide what results you want to see and how quickly you want them.
- Visualize yourself at a place where you are happy with your health and fitness and note how you feel about it.
- Note who this is for! Beside the obvious this should be for you, who else? Your wife? Your children? A relative you lost to poor diet and lack of exercise.
- Write this all down and keep it out where you can see it on a daily basis. On the fridge, on the bathroom mirror, in your car, anywhere and everywhere.
- The reasons for doing should out weigh the reasons for not doing by at least 2 fold. You should want this so bad that any obstacle that might hold you back is so insignificant it doesn’t stop you!
- If you ever catch yourself saying “I Can’t” this means your 100% should! This feeling is telling you where the growth is!
#2 – I’ll Start On Monday:
Not starting right now, waiting till next week, the end of the month, or whatever the excuse is, is what’s keeping you from being successful. The longer you put it off, the more time your brain has to come up with excuses for you not to. It’s a simple as that! Just start today, right now, there really isn’t any reason not to.
Jump off and build your wings on the way down.
#3 – Portion Size:
You are not human a dust bin! Seriously (you just laughed), but you are not a fucking human dust bin, so lets stop acting like one! You don’t need to eat it all, right now. We tend to fill our plates like we haven’t seen food in years and even when we are full, we finish it all anyway. I get it, you’re the leader of the family and nothing can go to waste.
Portion sizes are the single biggest factor affecting male’s nutrition.
I’ve seen guys lose up to 30 lbs just by controlling their nutrition through portion size, who doesn’t want to lose 30lbs without having to do any crazy diet?!
Guys, I’m giving you permission to leave leftovers. You don’t have to eat it all. Save it for lunch or for dinner the next day. And when you are full, STOP!
Here are some ways you can control your portion sizes;
- Use smaller plates. Looking at your dinner on a smaller plate tricks your brain into thinking you are eating a lot more than there actually is.
- Eat slower. Let your brain catch up with your stomach.
- Leave your dinner in the kitchen or at least a walk away. Leaving extras right at the table will give you the opportunity to reload your plate over and over and over.
- Be a Tupperware hoarder. Save those left overs for lunch tomorrow. It will save you money on lunch and stop you from hitting up that vending machine!
#4 – NEAT:
NEAT: Non Exercise Activity Thermogenosis, in human terms the calories you burn outside of exercise.
Unfortunately, you are just not active enough day-to-day. Doing your hour at the gym is just not enough (ITS NOTS) if the rest of the day you are sat at a desk or a couch and barely moving. You need to do MORE and move more.
Here are some ideas to make sure your NEAT will increase your fitness results;
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Leave your car at the furthest parking spot and walk to your destination
- Stand up and walk around during phone calls
- Take the dog for a longer walk
- Promise the kids a bike ride (because then you’ll have to)
- Get a step counter and hit your 10,000 steps day
- Start doing the gardening, sweeping etc. Whatever chore requires lots of moving around
NEAT can, if done well add up to 400 calories burnt in a day! Thats an entire meal!
#5 – Your Wasting Money On Your Gym Membership:
Gym membership…GOOD. Not using it properly or not at all….BAD!
This is where the misinformation is always handed to us. Welcome to the gym, here are the cardio machines, enjoy! Then you coast, you walk on a treadmill or gallop on the cross trainer for an hour while watching TV, get off and the end, workout complete. Remember I said, it’s not that easy? It truly isn’t. Granted you are moving and not on a couch, but what’s the point of paying into a membership if you are not going to use the gym to its full capacity? Why would you deny yourself the best for your money by not learning more about what can be done at the gym to support your fitness journey?
Take advantage of what your gym has to offer, use everything wisely and if you’re not sure, ask, watch videos, go on Pinterest and search for gym workouts, just don’t do yourself a disservice by strolling onto the cardio machine and giving it 10%.
#6 – You Think Supplements Will Save You: (they WONT)
Listen up, because I get this question daily. “What supplements should I be taking?” “How much protein, etc?” My instant reaction is, is your nutrition 100% on point or at least 80%? No! Then put all your focus and money into that and once that is on point then you can think about supplements. END OF CONVERSATION!
#7 – Weights vs Cardio:
Now, don’t get me wrong (reason #6), we do need some cardio. Combining cardio and weight training can give you incredible results. But consider cardio as the cherry on top. The sundae (weight training) is delicious on its own, but the cherry gives it just a nicer little touch. With or without the cherry, the sundae tastes great! (Sorry about the sundae analogy…ha!)
Why is weight, strength, resistant training the sundae? Building muscle mass will increase the amount of calories you burn on a daily basis and after you’ve finished working out (yes you’ll actually burn more calories when you are sat at home doing nothing after a weight session) as muscle is an active tissue. So burning more calories daily, will mean you will burn more fat as a result.
Increasing muscle mass will also help improve the way you look, improve posture and make everyday living that much easier. So making sure that weight training is a priority for you, will give you the best results in the quickest time.
#8 – You’re An Information Hoarder:
You subscribe to health and fitness magazines, lifestyle blogs, follow fit pros online and then do…nothing!
Essentially, you absorb all this incredible, life changing information, like I have provided here, and do nothing with it. You know how to take action, how to improve yourself but yet you don’t.
So why don’t you start right now? Figure out which one of these you want to work on and work on it… it is that simple! Start right now, today, and if you do, you’ve already trumped reason #2.
You don’t need to do this on your own! Join the hundreds of Dads who are reaching their health and fitness goals right now with 10XDads. CLICK HERE to get started, today!
Or take an even bigger leap and message me privately, I know I can help you!